WELCOME FAMILY AND FRIENDS !

Welcome to our BLOG... !

A BLOG is a place to share information and commentary about the life experiences of a person or couple. This is an opportunity to share our lives with you, and so, we shall attempt to keep you all up to date on our life together.

ENJOY !

Our World Cruise 2008 has come...can't believe it ! The time has flown and we are starting the cruise tomorrow. We'll be away from Jan 2008-May of 2008. I will be posting frequently, so, please, check-in often and comment "whenever the spirit moves you", (as my mother used to say !). PLEASE, check the section about "how to comment"...it may help you when you choose to do this after reading a section.

It is my hope that, at any time, but, especially, during this cruise, we ALL will use this site to stay "connected" with oneanother, dispite the vast geographical challenge...and feel wonderful about the sharing of thoughts and feelings, altogether.

I shall post pictures from the ship and from various places we visit...but most will be on 'shutterfly' and you will be able to access them via this BLOG by clicking on the HYPERLINK I shall place within the posting. If at any time the hyperlink doesn't work, then type the address into your web browser to go to shutterfly and use the password to access the OTooleworldcruise2008 collection...whenever you would wish to do so.

We hope that you will feel welcome and think of this, sort of, as YOUR SITE, too.

a message from,
Nancy and Patrick



Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Raiate'a The Society lslands

Raiatea
You ask me: ‘what DO you do at sea? Aren’t you bored?”
I reply: “HOW could I be bored ? Bordom, certainly. is a curious word and one which I simply cannot use for our sea days. Instead I would describe them as a delicious opportunity for a myriad of experiences and to learn new things about countries, people and ourselves ! The days at sea are what we make of them and as we speed through the water on this magnificent ship, the time for the experiences we are choosing to have, seem to fly . We have had many days at sea during this first “leg” of our cruise, and many of the experiences require their own unique chapters…they will come, I promise. Alas, but for another day…for…
Four days ago, we arrived in Maui…such a long awaited port.
I wrote this, then, planning to send it that day. Somehow, the day and the following days have gotten away from me. However, in an effort to capture one moment in time, I shall send it to you, anyway with the promise that I shall TRY to do better with more timely letters, in the future. Here goes:
As a little girl, I always dreamed of going to “Hawaii: and so, it seems, that yesterday, in Honolulu, & today in Maui, the dream of this little girl was finally to come true! What a rush !
The morning started early with the ever changing colors of a magnificent sunrise. I found that I could not resist getting up early to witness the sight. Perhaps, it was the utter anticipatory excitement that this day…that the arrival in Hawaii, had finally come, or, perhaps, it was the simplicity of the beginning of another beautiful d on this good earth , I can’t be sure. However, I do know that the brilliant hues of deep red-orange sun, peeking out of the horizon, was ever so fleeting and that I had better hurry to get my camera in order to “catch the moment”!
I must not miss it ! I felt like as if I were in a race for time…as if the sun and I were playing a game of hide and seek for it was darting behind the clouds, and then popping out once again, a new color- shouting out :
“SURPRISE! LOOK AT ME! CATCH ME IF YOU CAN!” …………………………. I wondered- who will win???
How to describe the beauty? This morning , the sun was vividly colored like the crayons in a childhood art box, and now the colors were changing ever so rapidly. Red to orange, ever so slightly tipped with yellow at its edge. I must hurry, yet, I must also be patient for the sun would dictate exactly when the perfect moment would arrive !
I held the camera with this glorious sight in its view, excitement building with each changing hue. I nervously wondered: when shall I press the shutter? I engaged the shutter half way, to affix the image. As I held my hand steady, my finger only half way pressed, I felt like a tiger ready to pounce any moment, to capture its prey.
When will I choose the right time to capture this moment…this memory?
YES ! NOW !
INSTANTANEOUSLY, I allowed my finger free reign to go all the way down…CLICK !
The satisfaction of it…I have it…the change to “hold a this memory”…What a lucky girl I am!

Breakfast was a blur as I realized that I simply could not focus on food when the rainforest and waterfalls were calling out to me. Onboard, the rhythm of the waves moved me back and forth between the task of eating, and that of considering what lie ahead. As with the waves, the eager anticipation of the experiences to come was swelling within me.
Yes! I would, Indeed, be a beautiful day !

I look back on those moments with great fondness…and wanted to share the excitement I felt…and so often do, when I am moved by a sight and the accompanying feelings. Perhaps that I why I feel so passionate about photography…for, it is a chance to feel the thrill of the moment…and to know that I won’t forget. It is that rare opportunity to connect, again and again with the thrill of it all as I edit and then sharing these pictures with you all! I love sharing with others…and as we are about to arrive in Raiate’a…the Society islands…I am once again, overwhelmed with excitement. In just a few hours, I shall have the opportunity to snorkel in pristine aqua waters, over oyster beds and in a living coral garden. Some say, these could be some of the most beautiful beaches and waters in the whole world. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder…and I can’t wait to see for myself.
So…I shall end with this, and promise to try to write more often, perhaps tonight about the stingrays and Oysters I have met today……….
Love from us both,
Nancy

No comments: